Zeke, a 15 Year Old Diabetic Dog

Zeke, a 15 Year Old Diabetic Dog
Zeke is believed to be a Puggle

Zeke Has Kidney Disease

Last Tuesday Zeke decided to stop eating and was being very finicky with food. I took him to his veterinarian who did blood work and an x-ray of his abdomen.  The X-ray was normal but Zekes bloodwork showed that his kidney disease has worsened since the last time it was checked in mid-march. His Creatinine went from 1.9 (which was just above the normal value of 1.8 in a dog) to 3.8.  His vet suspected that the kidney disease was causing him to be nauseated and to not want to eat.  She set me up with bags of subcutaneous fluid, tubing, and needles and showed me how to give Zeke fluids at home.    Zeke perked up almost right away after the first treatment so I was glad for that as I am not ready to see Zeke go.


I seem to have no problem doing the morning treatment of fluids.  But in the evening for some reason when I stick the needle in Zekes skin he always turns around, gives me a dirty look, and then barks at me for jabbing him and the needle comes out.  I am going to talk to his vet tomorrow.  Zeke seems to be doing much better with receiving the one fluid treatment per day he is getting.  I will see what she thinks about continuing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment